Commercial lawn care companies like Landworks know that Kansas City summers tend to be hot and dry. For the greatest ease of care and water conservation, choose drought tolerant plants and flowers for your landscaping.
Advantages of drought tolerant plants include:
- Less watering, resulting in lower water bills.
- Aesthetically pleasing landscaping with less maintenance.
- Increased wildlife habitat.
- Better resistance to diseases and pests.
- Deeper roots help to prevent erosion and stabilize slopes.
- Better drainage to groundwater.
- Less pollution-carrying runoff.
Drought Tolerant Plants For The Kansas City Area
The following flowering plants are tolerant of heat and drought and are commonly successful in our region.
- Burning Bush
- Creeping Zinnia
- Dusty Miller
- Four o’Clock
- Jacob’s Coat (Amaranthus)
- Mexican Sunflower
- Sweet Alyssum
- Black-eyed Susan
- Butterfly Flower
- False Indigo
- Torch Lily
If you are looking for more options, Powell Gardens has compiled an excellent list of drought-resistant plants recommended by the staff that includes trees, shrubs, groundcovers, and more.
There are several factors a commercial lawn care company will consider when choosing plants:
- Color: Choose flowers that color coordinate with each other and your home. Using both pale and vibrant colors creates interest and movement. Using several plants that all flower at different times ensures color all season.
- Size and Texture: Add dimension by contrasting heights and plant shapes. Plant front to back small to large.
- Sun or Shade: Determine where on the spectrum of full sun (six to eight hours a day) to dense shade (practically no sun) each area of your garden is, and plant accordingly.
- Watering Needs: Drought tolerant plants should be grouped together to prevent overwatering. Plants that need additional watering during hot summer months should be grouped together in a different area.
Commercial Lawn Care Services From Landworks
Landworks lawn care company specializes in all aspects of landscaping services for commercial and residential properties. Our customized lawn maintenance programs are designed to meet your needs, including landscaping, mowing, mulching, shrub/tree trimming, and lawn fertilization programs. Landworks offers a free consultation for all our landscaping, irrigation, and lawn care services in Johnson County, Kansas, and the surrounding Kansas City metro area.
For information about commercial lawn care, call Landworks at (913) 422-9300. To request a quote, click here.